I am a fourth-year PhD student working with Prof. Prabal Dutta at the University of Michigan. My work focuses on improving automated interactions with the built environment.
Why aren’t there portable apps for physical computing? Can you imagine if programmers had to write a new browser application for every different combination and configuration and brand of network interface cards, CPUs, RAM, graphics cards, etc? That is the current state of physical computing today.
Like many before me, I see the potential for a wide variety of sensor-actuator applications that impact health, the environment, energy efficiency, security, finances, social bonding, self-reflection, entertainment, and artificial intelligence. However, to finally make that future a reality, we need a platform that supports general-purpose computing for smart spaces.
- 05/07/16 – Attending CHI’16 (San Jose, CA)
- 04/14/16 – Attending The Stanford Forum (Palo Alto, CA)
- 11/04/15 – Attending BuildSys’15 (Seoul, South Korea)
- 11/02/15 – Attending SenSys’15 (Seoul, South Korea)
- 11/01/15 – Presenting at IoT-App’15 (Seoul, South Korea)
- 12/27/14 – Attending 31C3 (Hamburg, Germany)
- 11/05/14 – Demoing at BuildSys’14 (Memphis, TN)
- 11/03/14 – Attending SenSys’14 (Memphis, TN)
- 11/01/14 – Visiting MIT
- 10/30/14 – Demoing at TerraSwarm Annual Review (Berkeley, CA)
- 08/22/14 – Attending Burning Man 2014
- 07/16/14 – Presenting at CMU
- 06/11/14 – Presenting at ACM e-Energy’14 (Cambridge, UK)
- 06/03/14 – Attending New Making Renaissance Workshop (St. Helena, CA)
- 05/30/14 – Visiting Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- 05/29/14 – Attending Terraswarm SwarmOS workshop (Berkeley, CA)
- 05/28/14 – Visiting UC Berkley
- 05/16/14 – Attending Terraswarm localization workshop (Ann Arbor, MI)
- 03/03/14 – Attending Financial Crypto ’14 (Christ Church, Barbados)
- 11/13/13 – Demoing at BuildSys’13 (Rome, Italy)
- 11/11/13 – Demoing at SenSys’13 (Rome, Italy)
- 11/11/13 – Presenting at Infotech@Aerospace 2013 (Boston, MA)
- 05/01/13 – Visiting UCSD
- Clark, Meghan, and Prabal Dutta. “Weaving Social Fabric with a Home-to-Home Network.” CHI 2016 Future of Human-Building Interaction Workshop, San Jose, CA, May 7, 2016.
- Clark, Meghan, and Prabal Dutta. “The Haunted House: Networking Smart Homes to Enable Casual Long-Distance Social Interactions.” The 2015 International Workshop on Internet of Things towards Applications (IoT-App’15), Seoul, South Korea, November 1, 2015.
- Clark, Meghan, Bradford Campbell, and Prabal Dutta. “Deltaflow: Submetering by Synthesizing Uncalibrated Pulse Meter Streams.” The 5th International Conference on Future Energy Systems (ACM e-Energy), Cambridge, UK, June 11-13, 2014.
- Bradley, Justin M., Meghan Clark, Ella M. Atkins, and Kang G. Shin. “Mission-Aware Cyber-Physical Optimization on a Tabletop Satellite.” AIAA Infotech@Aerospace (I@A) Conference, Boston, MA, August 19-22, 2013.
- Kennedy, William G., Tim Gulden, Atesmachew B. Hailegiorgis, Jeffrey Bassett, Mark Coletti, Gabriel C. Balan, Meghan Clark, and Claudio Cioffi-Revilla. “An Agent-Based Model of Conflict in East Africa and the Effect of the Privatization of Land.” Proceedings of the 3rd World Congress on Social Simulation, Kassel, Germany, September 6-9, 2010.
- Aksanli, Baris, Alper S. Akyurek, Madhur Behl, Meghan Clark, Alexandre Donzé, Prabal Dutta, Patrick Lazik et al. “Distributed control of a swarm of buildings connected to a smart grid: demo abstract.” BuildSys’14 Proceedings of the 6th ACM Conference on Embedded Systems for Energy-Efficient Buildings, Memphis, TN, November 5-6, 2014.
- Campbell, Bradford, Sam DeBruin, Meghan Clark, and Prabal Dutta. “Demo Abstract: Disaggregating End Loads with Energy-Harvesting Sensors and Cloud Analytics.” BuildSys’13 Proceedings of the 5th ACM Workshop on Embedded Systems For Energy-Efficient Buildings, Rome, Italy, August 13-14, 2013.
Service and Outreach
- Winter 2016: Michigan Embedded Systems Hub (MESH) office hours (2 hrs/wk)
- Winter 2016: Founder and Co-Chair of CS KickStart at UMich
- Jan 11: Reviewer on IPSN’16 Shadow PC
- Jan 30: Mentor for Makeathon (MPowered Entrepreneurship)
- Feb 19-21: Mentor and Elite Judge for “MHacks: Refactor” hackathon
- March 18: Panelist on student panel for prospective grad student visit day
- April 9: Ran programmable lights demo for 100 high school girls (Girls Encoded)
- Michigan Hackers Talk: Surveillance and You
- Organized on-campus cryptoparty to learn about and install privacy-enhancing technologies
- EECS 183 Talk: Surveillance and You, Take 2
- Fall 2015: Mentorship of incoming female grad students with Ensemble of CSE Ladies (ECSEL)
- Oct 17: Grad school recruitment: Student panel, lab tours, SOP workshop
- Dec 3: Scribe for HotMobile PC
- Dec 8: A Brief History of Hacking, Pt. II: The Transistor Age
- July 11: Scribe for SenSys ’15 TPC meeting
- Talk: A Brief History of Hacking, Pt I – The Phreaks
- Grad school recruitment: Student panel at MIT
- Aug 9: Volunteer for Xplore Engineering (University of Michigan)
Robotics outreach for children of alumni.
- Aug 8: Ann Arbor City Council Meets a Raspberry Pi
Spoke on video surveillance and drone technology privacy issues.
- May 28: Volunteer for Lurie NanoFab Outreach (University of Michigan)
Optics outreach for fourth graders.
- Mentor for Lunch and Lab Mentorship Program (University of Michigan)
Mentorship for undergraduates interested in graduate studies.
- Mentor for gEECS Mentoring Program (University of Michigan)
Mentorship for women in EECS.
- Winter 2013: CSEG Tea Chair
- Oct 2: Lightning Talk: High-Performance Computing (Michigan Hackers)
- Aug 7: Talk: A Comparison of Space-Filling Curves (Summer Research Symposium hosted vy Rackham Summer Institute)
- Mentor for Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Mentorship Program (George Mason University)
Mentorship for women in EECS.
- Panel speaker for Society of Women Engineers Panel, SWE – Baltimore Washington Section
Honors and Awards
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (2014)
- Microsoft Graduate Women’s Scholarship (2013)
- Rackham Merit Fellowship, University of Michigan (2012)
- Outstanding Undergradute, GMU School of Engineering (2012)
- Undergraduate Distinguished Academic Achievement, GMU Dept. of Computer Science (2012)
- Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Assoc. (AFCEA) Scholarship (2010)
- Society of Women Engineers (Baltimore-Washington) Endowment Scholarship (2010)